FFV hands Victory points deduction

FFV hands Victory points deduction

0
SHARE

Melbourne Victory have been handed their second points deduction in two years following an FFV tribunal regarding a melee between Victory and North Geelong Warrior associates on Wednesday night

16-year-old Birkan Kirdar, who made history as Victory’s youngest ever senior player when he made an appearance for the club in an Asian Champions League fixture in April, was banned from Football Federation Victoria (FFV) fixtures for 16-games by an independent disciplinary tribunal for his role in a melee between the Melbourne Victory and North Geelong Warriors, a ban which will also extend to Victory’s FFA Cup fixtures.

The incident in question occurred at a Round 16 NPL2 Western Conference fixture between the Victory and Warriors at Elcho Park in Lara.

A witness to the incident told dailyfootballshow.com that Birkan Kirdar reacted poorly to being dispossessed of the ball by the Warrior’s Anthony Banovac at the game’s conclusion, instigating a scuffle that earned him a red card.

Victory fans then reportedly jumped the Echo Park fence, instigating a melee between members of the Victory, Warriors and watching fans.

As a result of the incident, Kirdar’s father Ferruh – amongst those who jumped the fence – was charged with misconduct due to being involved in serious violent conduct and/or instigating or participating in a melee and misconduct for entering the field of play when not permitted and engaging in misconduct; the incident also resulted in FFV charges being laid against Victory, the Warriors and the Warriors’ Gene Majic.

Charges of misconduct due to Club Associate(s) being involved in serious violent conduct and/or instigating or participating in a melee and misconduct due to failing to control club associates were laid at the feet of both clubs, while Majic was charged with misconduct due to being involved in serious violent conduct and/or instigating or participating in a melee.

With the exception of Victory pleading guilty to misconduct due to Club Associate(s) being involved in serious violent conduct and/or instigating or participating in a melee, all parties involved in the hearing plead not guilty to the charges levied against them.

Despite these pleas however, with the exception of Ferruh  Kirdar’s charge of misconduct due to being involved in serious violent conduct and/or instigating or participating in a melee, all parties were found guilty of the levelled charges.

On top of Birkan’s 16-game-ban and Ferruh Kirdar’s season-long suspension, Victory and the Warriors have both been fined a total of $500 for the incident, with an additional $1500 in fines suspended, docked three competition points in the Victorian NPL for the incident (with an additional three suspended) and Majic was suspended for five games.

When approached for comment, an FFV representative told dailyfootballshow.com “FFV does not comment on the findings of the independent tribunal.”

The three-point deduction is Victory’s second NPL points deduction in two seasons, with the club previously having been docked six competition points and having a number of fans sanctioned in June of 2016 when Victory fans instigated a melee with South Melbourne fans at an NPL fixture at Lakeside.

Melbourne Victory declined to comment on the incident or it’s previous points deductions.

Retraction: The article incorrectly identified Ferruh Kirdar as Birkan Kirdar. The author apologies for the error. It has since been corrected to accurately reflect those involved. 

LEAVE A REPLY